Tuesday 12 November 2013

Shah Rukh Khan and The Beatles.

Shah Rukh Khan.
Who doesn't know this man.
Known as 'King Khan' back in his home country, he was once, if my memory still serves me well, was named in Forbes (again If I'm not wrong, but 80% think it is correct) as one of the top 50 famous people in the world.

I do not want to talk about him per se.
Nor about his movies because I do not enjoy Hindi movies due to their pretentiousness, their showy of extravagant lifestyle and most of all, their 'expected' or easily read storyline. It's too long winded for me.

I came across one article about him and it was concerning his religious belief and I find it quite interesting because I myself had been wondering if Shah Rukh Khan a muslim or a hindu.
He who was born to a Muslim family however, do believe in Allah and also the Hindu god (gods), as he is married to a wife who is a Hindu; in other word -- they have an altar at home and also a the Holy Quraan next to it and teaches the children the good of both religion.

Well, again.
It's not for me to judge. Our religion is ours to keep and God knows better.

The only thing that perplexed me was human themselves when it comes to religion and their belief.
I would like to think that some of us can get overly confused when it comes to religion.
Maybe the song by Beatles has a point too;

         Imagine.
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.


I have known a family, during my short business tenure in Jakarta. The husband is a Muslim, and the wife is a Christian. They had been married for over twenty years. It is accepted in Indonesia. A Muslim can get married to another person, and the other person do not have to convert to Islam for the matrimony to take place.

However the practice among the Muslim arabs (Im not talking about the Gulf arabs), is that a Muslim man can be married to the people of the Book and are given an ample time to convert. It was imparted to me that the duration sometime will stretched up to ten years, and if the non-Muslim spouse refused to convert then they shall call it a day.

Unlike in Malaysia, for a non Muslim to get married to a Muslim man or woman, they have to denounce their religion and convert. And I can tell you 80 to 90 percent of them convert just for that reason and nothing else. Maybe they'll be a practising Muslim and maybe they will choose to remain neutral when it comes to religion.
I have friends and family members who are married to converts.

There are good and bad. Of having a strict religious law when it comes to marrying a Muslim like they have in Malaysia.
One-- it is in the doctrine that a muslim must marry another muslim. If they are not, then they have to convert. This however has it's twist when it comes to the people of the Book i.e. the Jews and the Christians. And that was during the birth of Islam. Centuries ago and I shall not go there due to my meagreness in the religion itself, and je suis comme je suis.

The only thing that made me constantly asking for answers was why on earth religion  must be made the reasons for everything. Good or bad.
Why must it be confused? Isn't it supposed to be guidance to human folks?
And why, most of all, the young naive mind of children must be muddled by something so easy yet so complex and some parents make them chose when they turned 18?


Why do people like and enjoy making themselves confused?
Why do people have to follow and follow blindly?





No comments: