Wikipedia meaning of Profanity:
The original meaning of the adjective profane (Latin: "in front of", "outside the temple") referred to items not belonging to the church, e.g. "The fort is the oldest profane building in the town, but the local monastery is older, and is the oldest building," or "besides designing churches, he also designed many profane buildings".
As a result, "profane" and "profanity" has therefore come to describe a word, expression, gesture, or other social behavior which is socially constructed or interpreted as insulting, rude, vulgar, desecrating, or showing disrespect.
Other words commonly used to describe profane language or its use include: curse, pejorative language, swearing, expletive, oath, bad word, dirty word, strong language, irreverent language, obscenity language, choice words, blasphemy language, foul language, and bad or adult language.
Tape-recorded conversations find that roughly 80–90 spoken words each day—0.5% to 0.7% of all words—are swear words with people varying from between 0% to 3.4%. In comparison first person plural pronouns (we, us, our) make up 1% of spoken words.
Research looking at swearing in 1986, 1997, and 2006 in America found the same top ten words were used of a set of over 70 different swear words. The most used swear words were fuck, shit, hell, damn, goddamn, ass, bitch, and crap—these eight made up roughly 80% of all profanities. Two words, fuck and shit, accounted for one third to one half of them.
Types of profanity:
Steven Pinker's book The Stuff of Thought breaks profanity down into five categories:
1. Dysphemistic profanity – which explicitly forces the listener to think about negative or provocative matter. Using the wrong euphemism has a dysphemistic effect. (Ex: "I have to take a shit")
2. Abusive profanity – for abuse or intimidation or insulting of others (Ex: "Fuck you, you fucking cocksucker!")
3. Idiomatic profanity – swearing without really referring to the matter. Just using the words to arouse interest, to show off, and express to peers that the setting is informal. (Ex: "Shit, I was pretty fucked up last night.")
4. Emphatic swearing – to emphasize something with swearing. (Ex: "I'm not going to do a fucking thing!" The word "fucking" emphasizes his refusal to do anything)
5. Cathartic profanity – when something bad happens like coffee spilling, people curse. (Ex: "Shit, my coffee just fell!")
According to Pinker, the content of profane language can also be broken into five categories of negative emotion:
1.The Supernatural – Evokes emotions of awe & fear. (Ex: "What the bloody hell is going on, here?")
2. Bodily effluvia & organs – Evokes disgust, since effluvia are major disease vectors. (Ex: "I'm gonna go take a piss.")
3. Disease, Death, & Infirmity – Evokes dread, fear of death or disability. These are words which are normally avoided or treated euphemistically. (Ex: "This dude's fucked up in the head" as opposed to "This man has Down syndrome.")
4. Sexuality – Evokes images of revulsion at depravity. Profanity of a sexual nature conjures images of illegitimate or exploitive sexuality, jealousy, etc. (Ex: "That faggot loves to suck on fucking fat ass dicks."; "Fuck your asshole."; )
5. Disfavoured people or groups – Evokes hatred and contempt. Such groups include infidels, the disabled (e.g.: gimp,), enemies (e.g.: sand monkey), or subordinated groups. These include racist words and/or insults based on gender or sexual preferences.
Hahahahaha....too bad if you holy people came across to read this!
Anyway, it's on the net and not coming from me at all, although i share some of the types mentioned above.
It's just my way of ringing your bell to get you people to understand swear words (for those of you who claimed and think that you're very cultured and never swear at all - vocally or in your heart).
Some of them, like Mr Pinker mentioned, is just a matter of manifesting your expression and what is life when you're too bounded and too rigid about every inch of things?
Does it mean that I'm less cultured when I sometimes say ' fuck, look at how nice that bloody Dodge Challenger is!!"....?